Real Madrid right-back Daniel Carvajal has said he is only thinking about the Champions League final at the moment, and that any worry he has about making the cut for Spain’s World Cup squad is at the back of his mind.
The 22-year-old was named in Vicente del Bosque’s 30-man squad earlier this week, but with three right-backs included, it is expected that one will be cut when the final list is announced on May 25, the day after the Champions League final.
Carvajal is competing with Atletico de Madrid’s Juanfran and Chelsea’s Cesar Azpilicueta, and many pundits expect the former Bayer Leverkussen man to be dropped from the squad due to his relative inexperience compared to the other two.
But speaking at an event in Madrid on Wednesday, Carvajal said he is looking forward to the Champions League final and will deal with everything else once that game is out of the way.
“Now I’m trying to make the most of the moment. I’m delighted to be part of the provisional list for the World Cup and will do everything I can to make it into the definitive list, but the most important thing right now is the Champions League final,” he said.