Security at the Santiago Bernabeu will be stepped up ahead of the Clasico this weekend in wake of the Paris attacks last Friday.
The highly-anticipated clash between the top two in La Liga falls just over a week after various attacks were carried out in the French capital, including outside the Stade de France, the national stadium. The attacks killed more than 130 people, the worst attack in Europe since the Madrid bombings in 2004.
The Clasico itself is not in doubt, but a government delegate in Madrid, Concepcion Dancausa, told AS extra security measures would be in place for the game.
“Even the sandwiches will be examined,” she said, in reference to Benfica fans smuggling in flares for the Champions League clash with Atletico de Madrid earlier this season.
She added: “It’s a case of doing what’s normally done, but with more control. The surveillance as the fans come in and out of the ground will be more thorough.”
And she called on the rival supporters to show solidarity in what is a nervy time for people across Europe: “The French fans left the Stade de France calm and singing their national anthem, it was an example – it’s about not being scared and collaborating with each other.”