Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso may be fit for the match against Malaga on October 19, according to the doctor who operated on him in the summer.
The 31-year-old defensive midfielder has yet to make an appearance for Los Blancos this season after sustaining a foot injury in August. But he is nearing the final stages of his recovery and could be ready for a first team return after the international break.
Speaking to Spanish daily Marca, Mariano de Prado said he was optimistic Alonso would be fit. He said: “We looked over the player last Thursday and everything looking normal. He is progressing well and has not had any setbacks so far.”
He added: “He is in the last phase of recovery. He is able to further enhance his work and use the usual footwear for practicing. With boots he is ready to make changes in pace and to have contact with the ball.
“There is a possibility that he can make the Malaga game, but at the moment it is still an estimation. It is not to be ruled out, but it is not good to force thinking with an objective. If he arrives at that time in a natural way, comfortable with the workload, then perfect.”
Alonso is in the final year of his deal and has been linked with a move away from the club he joined in 2009. Although Los Blancos were though to be keen to offer him a new deal, Alonso may wait to see what his options are in January when he is free to talk to other clubs about a possible free transfer. Juventus, Bayern Munich and Liverpool are all reported to be interested in his signature.